Seed multiplication programme was initiated by KRIBHCO during 1990-91 to provide quality seeds to farmers with the motto “Either Certified Seed or No Seed”. First unit was established at Aligarh (UP) with the capacity of 20,000 quintals per year. At present KRIBHCO produces certified seeds of cereals, pulses, oil seed, spices and fodder crops at its modern 12 seed processing units located in 8 states. The certified seeds are annually produced by progressive farmers according to standards & prescribed seed production practices. The seeds produced are being made available to the farmers through Krishak Bharati Sewa Kendra, Cooperative Societies and State Cooperative Marketing Federations in different states.
Seeds of following crops are processed:-
- Kharif : Paddy, Soyabean, Moong, Guar, Castor, Maize and Groundnut
- Rabi : Wheat, Gram, Pea, Lentil, Mustard, Cumin and Barley
|Sr. No.||State||Seed Processing Unit|
|12.||Uttarakhand||Udham Singh Nagar|
Basic Requirements for Certified Seed:
As per minimum seed certification standards there are certain criteria that should be fulfilled before the seeds become certified:
- Varietal Purity: The first & foremost requirement is that the seed must be of an improved variety released by either the central or a state university release committee for general cultivation and notified by the Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India.
- Genetic Purity: It Means true to the type to its parents genetically and free from other varieties seeds of the same crop species. There should not be mixture of other variety or other crop seed. Amount of contamination permitted range between 0 - 0.1% but contamination by seeds of other varieties of same crop is generally not permitted.
- Physical Purity: Means free from inert matter (sand, pebbles soil particle, straw etc.) and defective seeds (broken, insect infected, shriveled, unfit for germination). For example, in case of maize permissible contamination is 1.0 %.
- Germination: A high percentage of germination is required to obtain a good crop. Germination standard of seed certification varies from one crop to another like Maize (90%), Wheat (85%), Paddy (80%), Jowar (80%), Gram (85%), Arhar (75%), Mustard (85%) etc.
- Free from weed seeds: Must be free from weed seeds to prevent spreading of weeds through seeds & reduces losses caused by weeds.
- Free from diseases: Must be free from seed-borne diseases. Presence of seed-borne pathogens can be prevented by either seed treatment or effective control of diseases in standing crop.
- Moisture content : Certified seed must be dried to an optimum moisture level for effective processing, seed viability & safe storage. Optimum moisture level varies from 7% in oil seeds & pulses to 12% in cereals in case bags packing. Moisture level can be lower by 1 - 2% in case of containers made of metals.
Benefits of using KRIBHCO certified seeds:
- Produced under technical supervision of KRIBHCO officials.
- Passes through all required standard to ensure quality assurance and genetic purity.
- Maturity of crop comes at same time due to genetic purity, resulting in an increase in crop productivity by up to 20%.
- Have tested germination percentage.
- Seeds are healthy & disease free as seed treatment is done with standard seed treatments chemicals.
- Free from any mixture of weeds.
- Better response to fertilizers & other agri inputs.